As one of the most diverse geological settings in Canada, opportunities to discover the incredible history of the land, dig for buried treasures, and uncover stories from the past are woven across Ontario’s Highlands. OHTO has been working with partners to leverage our unique setting by developing and promoting these experiences through our Recreational Geology program since 2012, and visitors have since flocked to the region to discover the stories of our Earth, see unique gems with their own eyes, and try their hand at rockhounding.
We’re excited to announce that we’ve revamped our Recreational Geology program and are heading strong into market for the busy summer season with a promotional campaign to support the relaunch of this program and encourage visitors to Come Wander to Ontario’s Highlands’ most rockin’ experiences this season.
The program revamp includes:
- A revised “Hidden Gems” brochure – available at visitor centres and attractions throughout the region to guide adventures, this brochure includes a map and information on the 44 sites of interest for recreational geologists and average Joes alike, grouped by county
- Reskinned #OHRocks Geo-Selfie signs throughout the region – larger-than-life signs that mimic the white border of a Polaroid photo, inviting visitors to snap a selfie to remember the scenic views and unique experiences
- A ‘Geo-Selfie’ digital map – available on ComeWander.ca, detailing the locations of the Geo-Selfie Polaroid signs across the region
- A featured recreational geology story on ComeWander.ca – highlighting experiences and sign locations across Ontario’s Highlands
Promotional efforts to increase the buzz around this revamped program will include digital ads, as well as an exciting ‘#OHRocks Geo-Selfie’ social media contest launching July 1 with prizes from across the region.
The contest will run until August 31 – with promotions on ComeWander.ca, social media channels, and in-destination by the businesses where the Polaroid signs live; enticing visitors to snap and share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #OHRocks for a chance to win either two tickets to Cavestock 2020 (Bonnechere Cave’s underground concert series) or an experience for two with Haliburton Highlands adventure guides Yours Outdoors.
Wondering how you can get involved?
- Share the message on social media using #OHRocks
- Download a copy of the digital map to show visitors where they can go to snap their own ‘Geo-Selfie’ near you
- Encourage visitors to share their ‘Geo-Selfies’ using #OHRocks for a chance to win
- Suggest visitors download a copy of the “Hidden Gems” brochure for more information on recreational geology sites across Ontario’s Highlands
If you have any questions about our Recreational Geology program or promotional efforts, please feel free to contact me at Julie.email@example.com.
Looking forward to a rockin’ season ahead,
OHTO’s Marketing Manager